Jan 28, 2009

What the hell is CNY


Chinese New Year is boring as hell. People shoot off the fire crackers insanely. In the new year eve I couldn't even hear my own TV. The tradition of setting off fire crackers for scare away the HOLY beast which called Nian. Nian comes to the town once a year, just like Santa. But he is not coming to give the gifts, he takes lives, put the village on fire, eat children...all kinds of terrible things. Don't know where the smart chinese people found something make terrific sound to scare him away, that holy thing so called firecrakers, so the village can avoid the tragety once a year. That's why in Chinese called Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) also Gou Nian, means Nian passed.

Although the story is nice, and the firecrackers are really bring some holiday mood, but I never understood what's so fun of firecrackers. For 10-30 mins is ok, but not all night long... so fed up with all those. Every year, people lose their hands, arms, or eyes or whatever blowout, houses got on fire... many accidents just bcz of firecrackers! Why people still do this dangerous shit non-stop-ly! HOLY!

Nowadays, CNY really has become kinda meaningless, especially for the small family like mine. The New Year holiday just like any other holidays. We have the same activities like usual, having dinner (ok, there would be way too many dishes than uaual, but nothing fancy like stew peacock or something like that), watching TV (besides you could never hear what they talking about on tv bcz of the freaking firecrackers)... for me, nothing special for the eve. Eat-->go back to my room-->sit in front of my table. Ha, the special thing for this year was, instead pc in front of me, there is an awesome Macbook! That's the first goal I scored in 2009, having a Mac. A good kickoff! Keep it on.

I hope my friends have a fun, SAFE holiday. I hope they could come back to Shanghai soon. I am telling you guys, I am getting bored without you!

1 comment:

xXpinkpillsXx said...

hi i just randomly found your blog today through a spannish boys blog. Anyway i thought it was interesting you are from shanghai and all, well i am not chinese i am irish and in january i was in nanjing for chinese new year with my boyfriends family. no one explained to me the story behind the firecrackers i thought kids just bought them to show off lol and i couldn't understand why they played them all night lol @.@ i still don't really get it but i think its cool that fireworks are allowed there. In ireland were not allowed them at all.